Friday, June 23, 2006

 

Carb Heat

VANS do not include carb heat equipment in their Firewall Forward kits, nor do they implement them in their demonstrator aircraft. When I asked about this, they indicated carb ice had not been a problem for them. My rationalisation of this is that since the VANS designs all include a tight cowl system, the air temperature of the lower cowl keeps the carb body above freezing, and despite the presence of cold humid air rushing through, the ice can not form on a warm surface.

There is an interesting thread discussing this at
Carb Heat

After much consideration I think it is probably unecessary, unles you operate your aircraft in unusual ways, but despite that, I will incorporate an exhaust heat muff to provide warm air for the carb. At least it will give me peace of mind.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?